Sunday, January 21, 2007

Surf's not up

I'm in beautiful Mui Ne now. It is picturesque beaches and palm trees and emerald blue water. That said, it just doesn't seem like Vietnam. There are a lot of luxury beach resorts that have been built to cater to tourists that don't want to experience Vietnam, nor see what the people and country are really like. The beach in front of the resorts is full of European men in speedos and women in bikinis, who probably won't leave the beach their entire trip. This is the kind of place my brother would want to stay if he were to ever come to Vietnam. Mui Ne is supposed to be a surf spot, but I haven't seen any surfers, and the waves aren't big. They are probably smaller than San Diego, and it is very windy to boot. There are a lot of kite surfers though. The weather is great for that. I rented a motorbike and drove to a big sand dune today, went sledding down the dunes, it was fun. Just driving around on the motorbike is a lot of fun.

At 1:30 am tonight I get on a bus back to Saigon. I don't think I'll miss the stop this time.

No comments: